Located in the center of the square of the same name in Gaios, which once was a separate islet that gradually took its present form around 1800 due to natural and artificial accumulations.
A map found in the Paxos Archives shows the lodge (arch) indicating that there may have been another building, a temple upon which the current church was built, or a connection to the islet via a bridge. Renovated in 1737, it served as a metropolitan church until 1916.
Its bell tower was built after 1847. On the right side externally, it has an inset above the door with a Roman clock. In 1848, the election of Bishop Dionysius took place inside this church.
In 1982, it suffered significant damage from the floodwaters that passed through the church, destroying many icons. It was repaired, and a new iconostasis was installed.
No content
A problem occurred while loading content.